I finished this last week but couldn't get photos until Sunday. And then I found it hard to capture the shawl well. It's at its best when worn. But there was no one to photograph me in it and no model for me to use (other than my four-year-old son).
Pattern: Clapotis, Knitty, Fall 2004
Needles: size 8 Clover circular bamboo
Modifications: I wanted to see how much I could get from one hank of Wistful. I started to get nervous about half-way through and decided to do only 6 repeats in section 3 (the straight rows) instead of 12. It was the right call. I ended about a yard short overall, but only had 9 or so stitches left at this point and could "just" bind them off. I don't think it's very noticable and I tend to be pretty critical.
I should note that I checked gauge half-way through and saw that I was at 4.25 stitches per inch rather than the 4.75 called for in the pattern. This difference certainly accounts for my not having enough yarn to finish my final rows and may even mean I could have gotten a few more repeats in the center section. I was using 10% more yarn than the pattern anticipated...
Notes/Thoughts: I'm glad to have made this. I'd wanted to for a long time. Having done it once, however, I do not feel the need to do it again. As with all shawls, I just can't imagine when one would wear it. That is my main reservation about making another one.
The yarn was, as always with Briar Rose Fibers, beautiful. The color changes were so fun to watch. This bottom photo, though washed out, better captures the yarn colors. They're more pink than red (which the top photo would have you believe).