Saturday, July 07, 2007

Briar Rose Vine Flower Dress Update

I haven't had much time for posting, but Wow! this dress is just cruising along!! I think it is the addicting combination of using yarn I love, and the wonderful, rhythmic, fun to knit pattern! In this picture, I'm just preparing to do the front straps (since then, I have finished the front straps plus the back portion of the bodice and am ready to do the back straps-except I have also finished up my skein, and so must prepare to wind the other!) I'm amazed at how well this skein lasted-the pattern said it neded 550 yds and I actually added in two extra inches of length in the skirt (my daughter is tall and rail thin, so I thought, if I made the dress just a teensy bit longer, she may get a few more wearings out of it!) I did make a mistake when casting on for the skirt though-I used a long tail cast on (b/c its so easy!) but now the skirt edge is really rolling! I'm hoping that, if blocking doesn't help (which I doubt it will...) I can fix it by using maybe some sort of inconspicuous crochet edge...
I love the yarn, and am excited about nearly finishing the dress-but not looking fwd to winding the second skein-that's a lot of yarn! (how can you tell I wind by hand?? LOL!) Definitely a good value though!!

Seeing as I will have extra, I'm trying to decide what to make with it, to go along with the dress. I've thought of vine lace stockings, or a floppy hat (but I'm thinking the is dress will be for slightly cooler weather! : ) Or maybe a lil purse? Any thoughts?

5 Comments:

At July 08, 2007 11:29 AM, Blogger Debbi said...

Looks great, Vanessa! Your daughter is a lucky girl. :)
I vote for a little drawstring purse to match the dress. You could use the lacy stitch pattern above the drawstring and it would drape down over the stockinette body of the bag. Just remember which side of the lace will show!
Anyway, it's lovely!

 
At July 08, 2007 3:14 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I love the dress! Our colors must be sole mates. FOJ blocks wonderfully and I am certain that you will be pleased with the control of the hem once you've blocked.

Debbi's suggestion for a purse is great. What a great outfit for your daughter.

 
At July 09, 2007 8:52 AM, Blogger buttercup said...

Definitely a purse. I think stockings or a hat would be a little too much, but a bag would be adorable!

 
At July 12, 2007 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! This is so stinkin' cute!!!!

 
At July 13, 2007 4:31 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh my Vanessa.....how sweet! This is great fun fo rme to see projects made up that I only see the pattens and sell the yarn for!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home