Friday, May 04, 2007

Pearls to Oranges?

Alright. It's been a while since there were any new posts. Get knitting!

I wound my [exquisite, pulse-accelerating, let-me-roll-in-a-bathtub-full-of-it] ball of Sea Pearl, closest in color to this) yesterday. My plan is to use it for the Clementine Shawlette. Hopefully I'll be able to cast on this weekend.

I know telling what one plans to do with yarn isn't half as interesting as what one ultimately does with it. But I wanted to say I'm out here and hope to have something to show soon.

Interestingly, by searching under "Clementine Shawlette" on blogs, I found a lot that complained about the poor result of seaming the two halves together. THAT makes me nervous as I've never knitted lace nor used the Kitchener seam...

6 Comments:

At May 05, 2007 7:21 AM, Blogger Debbi said...

You might try a provisional cast-on for the first half, then pick up those loops and knit the second half in the other direction.
Then there's no seam!

 
At May 06, 2007 7:23 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Kitchner is so easy! She says as she made her third attempt at it over the weekend on the toe of a sock. It wasn't kitchners fault, it was mine!
I like Debbie's idea.....

 
At May 06, 2007 7:26 PM, Blogger Chris said...

oh my gosh!!!!!! I have someone making that right now for a sample for our booth in SEA PEARL!!!! I hadn't gone to the link before I posted my previous comment!! You ROCK!

 
At May 07, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger doulicia said...

O.K., so I don't need to worry about Sea Pearl being the right yarn for the job! In fact, I cast on last night and completed the little flair at the end of one side -- what another knitted described as "the codpiece!" I haven't knit lace before, so I'm trusting that its current bulges will flatten out with blocking.

And at any rate, the yarn was fun to knit with and has such a pretty sheen for the shawlette.

Debbi, I'm not sure how to do what you describe because both sides are knit up from the ends to the middle and then joined. The lace won't look the same if it's knit top to bottom rather than bottom to top, right?

 
At May 07, 2007 11:20 AM, Blogger Debbi said...

Doh! You are so right.
I 'ass'umed the pieces were knit from the center outward. Kitchner it is, then.

 
At May 08, 2007 9:36 AM, Blogger doulicia said...

Well, I'm new to this lace thing so I thought maybe I was missing something. Thanks-- I guess -- for confirming Kitchener Stitch is the way to go.

By the way, is the only argument against 3-needle bindoff the seam? because if people say Kitchener leaves a bumpy seam anyway, then why not go the easy way and do 3 needle?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home