Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hi Everyone--

All of your posts and beautiful photos made me want to chime in.

I met Chris and Briar Rose Fibers at the Great Lakes Fiber Show in 2005. Her imaginative and inviting exhibit blew me away! On impulse, and without any project in mind, I took home 3 blending hanks of Sonoma. I petted it for a week or so, asked it what it wanted to be.... It never said, so I finally decided on a simple top-down cardigan. I threw in a dash of 7 purl stitches whenever I got bored with stockinette. Seed stitch bands at wrist, neck and waist play up some of the darker shades of purple and chocolate.

This yarn is soft and warm and I've worn this sweater everywhere. It's held up well with just a little pilling. This photo was taken yesterday, after nearly 2 years of wear. In my mind's eye the striping is more subtle-- I've described it as greens and purples. But the camera doesn't lie and the blue and gold play well with the others. Many of Briar Rose's "paintings" blend well with each other. If you get a chance to see them together at a show, rather than on a PC monitor, you can decide which pairings work for you.


I went back to the 2006 Great Lakes Fiber Show to score some more of this addictive substance. But that's a story for another day....

Labels:

8 Comments:

At March 11, 2007 7:47 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Welcome Debbi! Your sweater is beautiful. I agree that the yarn is so fabulous in 'person' - I have a difficult time explaining it. Everyone I've talked to that has seen Chris' fiber knows what I am talking about when I try to describe it.

 
At March 11, 2007 10:01 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

Your cardigan is gorgeous. Where did you get the clasp?

 
At March 12, 2007 7:31 AM, Blogger Debbi said...

I found the clasp in a thrift store, on a ratty sweater.

 
At March 12, 2007 8:36 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Hi Debbi!!!! I am glad you are here!!!! yay!!! it's so nice to see that sweater again..I've thought of it several times. Are you going to show us your project made in "Abundance"? yes, that's what we named your blue fiber. I hope I will see you at the Great Lakes show again this year.

 
At March 12, 2007 9:20 AM, Blogger buttercup said...

Beautiful sweater! I thought it was something that you just finished, but if that's how the yarn holds up after 2 years of loving wear, I'll be thrilled when I finish my sweater!

 
At March 12, 2007 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY! That cardigan is to die for!!!!! I must make one! Where did the pattern come from?

 
At March 12, 2007 11:31 AM, Blogger doulicia said...

This looks like just the kind of sweater I'd wear all the time, too. The "7 stitches of purl when I felt like it) is a great idea. Adds to a rustic appearance. So pretty.

 
At March 13, 2007 7:42 AM, Blogger Debbi said...

Thank you all - you're very kind.
E.Zimmerman and B.Walker have both written instructions for top-down raglan sweaters. You swatch for your own personal gauge with the yarn you will use, then they walk you through some arithmetic based on your own body measurements.
The sweater is quite basic. It's the yarn that makes it stand out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home