Monday, February 26, 2007

Socks, Swatches and a Clapotis



My liberty socks are done, and a huge thumbs up to switching needle sizes instead of changing the stitch pattern to achieve calf shaping. It's a slick little keeper of a technique. The stitch pattern came from the new Interweave sock book (another thumbs up). I carried the stitch pattern down the heel flap, before getting really bored with it, and deciding to just work the ribbing pattern on the instep.

Next up was supposed to be the Tilt Jacket, but I'm not really liking the swatches for this project. The bodice of the jacket is knit on the diagonal, so you have to hit both stitch and row gauge spot on, or it just won't work. Briar Rose Colette is just a wee bit finer than the Noro called for, and in order to get gauge I have to use needles that are just to big for it. The pattern doesn't do the yarn justice, I feel, so I've scrapped that idea, and moved onto plan B.

Instead of Tilt, I've decided to knit the cover sweater from Lace Style, also new from Interweave. The feather and fan stitch pattern is perfect for this yarn, and the fabric is soft and very drapey. On 6mm needles this is going to knit up super fast, and will be a perfect spring sweater.




Finally, while I fiddled with different stitch patterns for the Colette, I knit a Quick Clapotis from ... Can't remember what the yarn is, actually. It's a thick/thin number, and works up to about 4 stitches per inch. Chris, do you think you can identify this one?



The finished scarf is chunky and warm, and amazingly soft. It's my new favorite! (Actual scarf color is nearer the close up image than this one.)

8 Comments:

At February 26, 2007 9:56 AM, Blogger buttercup said...

Now I really can't wait to get my hands on Favorite socks! The Clapotis is beautiful, but then I'm a purple/pink kinda gal.

 
At February 26, 2007 5:24 PM, Blogger christine said...

Awesome! You are so prolific!

Keep up the good work!

Christine

 
At February 26, 2007 7:36 PM, Blogger Kim said...

You rock! Your clapotis is the best I've seen - the yarn was a great choice. I had not even considered knitting it...until seeing yours.

 
At February 27, 2007 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, love the socks (and the snoozing puppy)! The pattern works amazingly well with the variegated color. Now I really have to get a copy of that book!
The lace and the Clapotis look wonderful too. Really, your entire post just makes me want to buy more yarn... :)

 
At February 27, 2007 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo! All of your knitting is so yummy and inspiring.

 
At February 27, 2007 6:19 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hi Brenda! Wow! you have been busy! You must "knit like the wind"........
The Clapotis (is that from knitty.com?)is made from Dream Weaver, (did you use more than one hank?)and now, of course, I need to make one of those! Love the denim jacket photo! And the Collette looks so darned pretty in the small photo, can't wait to see it in some form of sleeve or front or back.........
Thank you ever so much for sharing!

 
At February 28, 2007 11:31 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

Chris, I used just one hank of Dreamweaver to knit that Clapotis. I have knit this pattern in DK weight silk, and it looks so different you wouldn't know it was the same pattern.

 
At March 06, 2007 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brenda, I just introduced myself to your podcast and really like it. Are there legal reasons why our local public radio station couldn't play your podcast on their station? Or maybe the college radio station? There are tons of longterm knitters here in Fairbanks, AK and I am certain others would enjoy your show as much as I do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home