Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Two Rosebuds



For the last few months, my personal knitting has been mostly about building my vest wardrobe. It appears that I'm not alone with my love of the vest--I've had "vest awareness" regarding print and television media. The winter issues of KnitSimple and Knitter's were pretty vest heavy, although KnitSimple called one sweater with cap sleeves a "vest." Not in my world. I've seen vests as wardrobe for television commercials, and the most memorable one, an argyle vest on the host of the Food Network's "Everyday Italian," worn with a crisp white shirt. I love the design of the Rosebud vest. The little lace/cable detail is so feminine, and I think a v-neck is always flattering. The brown/red and rust Rosebud I knit in November, with some custom dyed Sonoma. I was surprised to have quite a bit of yarn left over, and when I knit another using Sonoma again, I wanted to see if I could make it just a little longer. I like the cable feature to be deep, and the first I knit with eight repeats of the stitch pattern. On the teal mix one, I went for nine, to make the vest 1.5-2 inches longer. I'm in the process of assembling the piece, and have just enough left, I think to finish off the armholes. To save yarn, I did the shoulder bind off and side seams using a worsted weight yarn out of my massive stash. I'm contemplating another Rosebud, which would make five (I've knit two out of other yarns, check the November archives of my blog for details), and, after seeing it knit in Abundance, I'm wondering if there's enough to knit the largest size. Chris, what do you think?

5 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 6:33 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Ok, I'm inspired - I want one too. I am drawn to the blue one and like that you made it a bit longer - Great photos!

 
At January 20, 2007 5:36 PM, Blogger Chris said...

oh my gosh CORY!!!!!!!!! Five? Five Rosebuds??? you are deemed the Rosebud Queen! I'll ask Christy if she thinks there is enough of Abundance....she made one of her Rosebud vests in Abundance.....really? five?

 
At January 22, 2007 11:11 AM, Blogger christy said...

WOW - that's amazing! Yes, I think there will be enough to do the largest size. I did the medium size, but I made it longer in the torso, and in the armhole. I had quite a bit left over. Good luck - I can't wait to see it!

 
At January 25, 2007 1:44 PM, Blogger nuts4knits said...

What an awesome use of that yarn. I've been thinking about vests a lot lately as well. So inspiring. Gorgeous neckline

Denelle in TN

 
At January 25, 2007 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you sound like you are "fully vested". haha :-)

Beautiful work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home