Sunday, January 14, 2007

Grandma Tilly.....or why my yarns are named after roses

Kim asked another question about the names of the fibers.. like Sonoma and Fourth of July and such. They are all named after actual roses. Whether they be climbers, tea roses or hybrids. I have roses all around my yard...one in fact is so prolific (Collette) that we couldn't even count all of the lovely peach colored, beautifully fragrent flowers one year. One beautiful "rugosa" is outside my workshop window and in the spring has an enchanting scent that comes in to greet me when I least expect it. My dear grandma always had beautiful beds of tea roses and as a child she would let me take one or two buds home. The challenge was to see how long I could make the rose last in a vase with an asprin in the water. My grandpa would fill the bed with old dried corncobs from his grain mill for mulch over the winter. I remember my grandma would buy bare root plants from the nursery and leave them in a bucket of water for a week to get the sprouts going......
My grandma was the one who taught me EVERYTHING...gardening, sewing, yeast roll making and crocheting... she crocheted lovely doilies and I have a wonderful collection of them that I use everyday...
She died at 92, crocheting up until four days before she passed away..I want to be just like that when I grow up!

2 Comments:

At January 14, 2007 7:58 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Ahhh, now I see! I love to grow roses and have had such good results in Michigan. One yellow bush is well over 8ft tall and gets more hearty year after year. The fragrance from them which mingle together is intoxicating. I must recommend the Buchart Gardens in Victoria, BC - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been with an entire garden dedicated to roses!

 
At January 14, 2007 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom, thanks for making me cry (a happy cry). I miss Grandma. She was a beautiful soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home